Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #685 (permalink)
cavanherk
barefoot troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
Let me put it this way. My goal in life is to be as happy as possible. There will be things I have to do in order to get there. One thing would be to find out what my destination is, happiness. What is happiness? I figure it out. So now I have to find how I am going to get there. This is a morality. So I get my morality. Now I must go to my destination, or live by my morality. I do so.

Where does a god fit in this picture? Where he would fit in would be in the area of the destination. Basically, believing in a god and such becomes part of the goal. All religions create that goal for you to follow. However, is it really your goal? Nope. It is the goal of the religion. Basically, your existence would then be wasted on living for a goal that has nothing to do with who you really are. You will never enjoy it.
I agree completely.

Quote:

Your argument is that one could believe in God because it is part of our nature.
No. My retort was that one could have reason (or a basic survivalist feeling of necessity) to pursue religion because it is part of our nature.

Quote:

We have no clue of what life after death is. How can you possibly enjoy something which you have no true conception of? You might believe it is better, but is there anything you have to do to get it? If yes, then I would question how this specific morality makes you happier.
If the religion has general guidelines or "things you have to do to get it," and those guidelines make someone feel good while resulting is less harm (in the form of waste, injury, aggression etc) to others, then why question it?
cavanherk is offline   Reply With Quote