Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #686 (permalink)
Inuzuka Skysword
Existential Egoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavanherk View Post
No. My retort was that one could have reason (or a basic survivalist feeling of necessity) to pursue religion because it is part of our nature.
And mine is the fact that no "basic survivalist feeling" is really your own reason. That stuff does not determine who you are. Sartre's whole being-in-yourself idea is what I am saying. We have no true essence from birth. We have to create one based on our actions because are actions are how we exist. "Basic survivalist feeling" can't be a reason to choose religion. You don't know whether anyone survives after life. Pascal's Wager doesn't make sense anyways because it views this life as completely worthless, which it isn't.

Quote:
If the religion has general guidelines or "things you have to do to get it," and those guidelines make someone feel good while resulting is less harm (in the form of waste, injury, aggression etc) to others, then why question it?
I don't question that aspect of it. I question the fact that you want to do something because "God told you so."
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote