Music Banter - View Single Post - Death
Thread: Death
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher View Post
Leprosy was Death's second album, recorded in 1988. It was produced by Scott Burns, who has recorded a lineup of amazing bands and made most of them sound totally badass (if more badass was even possible). I must confess I have listened to this album the least of the entire discog... It seems a little bland to me, actually. Rick Rozz is a rather poor guitarist in my mind and you can definitely tell that some riffs and solos were written and played by him instead of Chuck. In terms of the vocals, the effects on them and the way that Chuck sang at the time make them kind of normal as opposed to his usual unique voice. Nothing in the riffs really stand out to me and I find that most of the album sounds like the band finding the sound it's suited for. The consensus among most fans I've spoken to is that while Leprosy is more technically competent and creative than Scream Bloody Gore, SBG felt more "authentic" and had better crafted riffs. That said, Terry Butler's bass on this album is really decent (though I am still pissed at him for touring without Chuck in Europe), and there is one amazing song: Pull The Plug. Unfortunately for the cd, it's available on the Live in LA album which basically means that 100% prime-of-their-career Death is playing their early material (WHO ELSE DOES THAT NOWADAYS?!?) and makes Leprosy's version sound like it was played by baboons with BC Riches. (Korean made, of course.) Overall, I wouldn't really recommend Leprosy; even as just a part of Death's musical progression. It doesn't really deliver anything that the other albums don't do better.

Next up is Human... Which is dope. Yeeeeeee
Oh c'mon. Open Casket is an absolutely Phenomenal song and it's Spiritual Healing next which was nowhere near as strong I feel.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote