Music Banter - View Single Post - Self Taught??
Thread: Self Taught??
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #42 (permalink)
Antonio
VICTORY SCREEEEEEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieasleep View Post
lol i said that. and yeah it helps with that stuff but its not nessecary. learn your chords, start learning songs, and off you go. also learning ear training or how to read music is much more of a bitch to teach yourself than just learning chords and following tabs. plu learning sheet music is only REALLY helpful if you plan on picking up classical guitar at some point.
i know what you mean with sheet music, i wouldn't be in a rush to learn it myself. so you can disregard that point.

but tbh, if you really want to make your own music/be able to really jam and play with people and not just play other people's songs, music theory is something that can help you alot. even people who just play chords use it when they want to know where to go next when they're making a song.

trust me, i've played with people who knew that kind of stuff as well as people who only knew how to play other people's songs, and the latter is alot more of a bitch to deal with. it's best, in my experience at least, to learn some theory, so that you could be on the same page with other musicians. not saying you have to know every piece of it, at least know the basic stuff.

and yeah, it's hard to really train your ear, but learning guitar is hard too. you can look up ear training things online that can help you in identifying different notes. it might be hard to learn, but it'll help you out in the longrun.

but hell, that doesn't mean you're necessarily not gonna go anywhere sans theory, there have been plenty of artists who made great music without it, really more from creativity/vision. so imo, i say it's best if you try to do both, try being creative as well as try to learn the fundamentals of music.

My MB Journal-I talk about music and stuff!

add me on Steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/commandercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave
isn't this one of the main reasons for this entire site?

what's next? a thread made specifically to banter about music?
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote