Music Banter - View Single Post - Crash's Daily Reader
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
Crash's Song of The Day - 15 JUN 2009

Artist:
Merle Haggard

Song: Workin' Man Blues

Album: A Portrait of Merle Haggard (1969)

A true American worksong circa 1969, Merle Haggard's raspy and down-home voice belts out the lyrics to to this workin mans ballad in a way that noone could argue that he doesn't mean every damn word of it. The truth in the song is clearly evident, the man relates to the hard working class of southern America in the 1960's. His tales of hard work, beer drinkin', and tough times are something that every coal miner, factory worker, and truck driver probably used as a crutch at one point in time. I grew up listening to my grandpa play this around the campfire, and I never realized the gravity of this song and how much of a reality it is for so many people.

The guitar work in the song is absolutelty stellar, as for traditional country guitar playing goes, you just don't get any better than this. The driving bass line keeps you grooving through the tune seamlessly, and the drums are faint but there enough to add the perfect feel to the song. The way the band comes together on this track is remarkable. Speaking in terms of traditional country, this song is perfect from start to finish, everything an old country fan ever could want from the genre.

I'm posting the video of a live performance because, well honestly Merle kicks ass live, and the instrumental breaks are incredible (ever try finger/sweep picking a tele?). I am also linking up the album version of the song so if you're interested, you can add it to your library.
Your Workin Man Blues review.........perfect. This makes me such a proud member of MB. You are exactly right when you say this is a reality for so many people, including my family. My Dad has worked at the Farmers Coop in my town for as long as I can remember and that line in Workin Man Blues that goes "I aint never been on welfare, thats one place I wont be, and I'll go back workin.." is always a favorite of his. Again, great review, made my day.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote