Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #689 (permalink)
Miltamec Soundsquinaez
Aural melody discerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSmith View Post
Why is it so bad to want to believe in a being that loves you unconditionally, and enough that he would do anything for you? Why do you believe us to be stupid because we hope for a better place than this wretched planet? If you ask me, it is better to believe in a god/God and be wrong, then not to believe in a Deity and be wrong.
I agree with you, because scientifically, faith usually makes a person healthier, happier. Whether they're experiencing the 'placebo effect' is irrelevant from a utilitarian standpoint.

However, some very Orthodox Christians take a very imperialistic religious approach, which is to tell people if they don't believe Jesus died for our sins, they are going to hell. Many evangelists and their followers operate on fear and control and that is just the fact of it.

The orthodox aspect of religion is what makes the zealots seem insane. It's like this, 'I'm not really sure if I believe all this is true, but the more people I can convince, the more I convince myself' attitude. I just think people should let people be who they want to be, but for god's sake, if you want to share your religion with other people, and show them how great it is, don't use threats at the very least.