Music Banter - View Single Post - Self Taught??
Thread: Self Taught??
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #47 (permalink)
Antonio
VICTORY SCREEEEEEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
is this really because they didn't know theory? how much experience did they have playing with other people before jamming with you? if all you've ever done is learn to play other people's songs odds are you've never jammed with much more than this month's guitar world magazine and your stereo (not that i spent the first 5 years of playing guitar doing exactly this hahaha)

it's far less about what you know and way more about how you use it.
.....well, i really wanted to get to my calc homework, but i guess now i'll have to forget about it and drop the class to argue with you!

nah j/k, haha

anyway........

while i do admit that some of the people i've played with haven't had much experience, what do you expect in your high school years? for me, it's rare to find experienced musicians at that age level

even so, most times i jammed i've tried aiming it towards more than just playing along to songs and actually playing with other musicians and sharing musical ideas. tbh, i hardly ever learn songs, unless it's something i really like or if someone asks me to.

but definately, it's how you do it moreso than what you know. the thing is, some people i've played with in the past didn't really try to grasp the concept of either; they were just concerned about doing covers without even wanting to learn the methods behind it or wanting to actually make music of their own. i'm in a band right now, and while pop punk may not be the most free flowing genre, my bandmates and i will still have spontaneous jam sessions, where we just play what comes to mind and not just what's on our setlist.

oh and btw, i've never owned any guitar magazines.

My MB Journal-I talk about music and stuff!

add me on Steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/commandercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave
isn't this one of the main reasons for this entire site?

what's next? a thread made specifically to banter about music?
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote