Music Banter - View Single Post - Best jazz song/ album ever?
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavanherk View Post
I am no afficionado, but I absolutely am entranced by Jazz 'Round Midnight, with the Gilbertos and Stan Getz.
don't take this the wrong way but that sounds like the oddest pairing of names ever.

'Round Midnight is Thelonius Monk's most famous piece, mostly because it's the only 'proper' melodic piece he composed. most people thought he was crazy back in the day due to his atonal and unorthodox approach to playing piano. he was just way ahead of his game (regardless of his mental state).

as for the Gilbertos and Stan Getz, that was a series of albums from the early 60s of Antonio Carlos Jobim's compositions. He's the main man behind what's typically referred to as Bossa Nova. Getz's participation in the recordings was a successful attempt by his record label to sell a new sound to north america, everything is very smooth and melodic across the three albums in the initial series (Jazz Samba, Jazz Samba Encore!, Getz & Gilberto)

basically ACJ's music can best be described as the greatest elevator music you'll ever hear.

Thelonius Monk's on the other hand is like a music box rolled down a flight of stairs.

both will get you to the ground floor but you can see why it becomes an odd pairing of names.

as for the best song album thing... i'm going with 'you don't know what love is' by Eric Dolphy from his 'last date' album. NOTHING i have heard to this day tops this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgGs3h7CytA (WARNING - the very last note is missing, no other versions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,

Last edited by mr dave; 06-20-2009 at 10:38 PM.
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote