Music Banter - View Single Post - Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 02:53 AM   #155 (permalink)
Hesher
Palm Muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUsed2lguy View Post
OK, well an adult has oxygen in his blood, so by that rationale, they would be able to breathe with their head inside a woman's vagina, simply because they have oxygen in their blood?
This argument is irrelevant because it has nothing to do with the fetus achieving consciousness or sentience and does not act as a serious medical sign that the fetus has become human. Some bacteria take in oxygen as well, for example, although they do it by osmosis. It isn't a sign of humanity to be able to breathe underwater or to only be able to breathe in air, and the fact that a fetus/baby is able to breathe oxygen while suspended in fluid has nothing to do with it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
I think the difference between a fetus and a person is really in what they can experience. That's the first thing I'd mention at least.
I understand that you are examining this discussion from a philosophical/ethical perspective rather than a medical one, but using that gauge, a fetus cannot "experience" anything human until a while before birth, by which time it is a viable baby and essentially a small human. By this time, the vast majority of people do not have abortions. We agree but I'm just saying. Most abortions happen before the fetus has even developed enough spinal and brain tissue to control it's own body rhythms, much less think or take in information.
Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote