Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #700 (permalink)
Inuzuka Skysword
Existential Egoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSmith View Post
Why is it so bad to want to believe in a being that loves you unconditionally, and enough that he would do anything for you? Why do you believe us to be stupid because we hope for a better place than this wretched planet? If you ask me, it is better to believe in a god/God and be wrong, then not to believe in a Deity and be wrong.
First of all, unconditional love is not love. Love is conditional which is what makes it love in the first place. If you like someone for no reason, that is not love. What do you appreciate in the person? Nothing. It is an insult to have someone to say they like you for no reason. That undermines everything you are.

I don't think you are stupid for believing in God. I just think that you are choosing to waste your existence. I guess you could say that is a stupid thing to do. In reality, there is no reason why you will be happier off with religion. Also, your last sentence sounds a lot like Pascal's Wager. The problem with that is that you are viewing this life as worth nothing when there is the possibility that it is worth everything.

Also, why do you call this place a wretched planet? The place is great. I have the ability to work hard and get what I want. I have the ability to love and be loved. I have the ability to exist for the sake of myself. This is all I know and to call it a "wretched planet" is basically like saying that my life here is worth nothing aka nihilism.

Quote:
I agree with you, because scientifically, faith usually makes a person healthier, happier. Whether they're experiencing the 'placebo effect' is irrelevant from a utilitarian standpoint.
How do you measure happiness scientifically?
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote