Music Banter - View Single Post - The Quiet Man in the Corner
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
CanwllCorfe
Quiet Man in the Corner

Trance:

DJ Shah feat. Inger Hansen - Don't Wake Me Up
Label : Armada Music
Release : June 23rd, 2008
Versions : Original, Dub Mix

Original : Ahh a so called "emo trance" song! This was a short lived fad where trance producers would create songs that were a mix of alternative rock and trance with emotionally driven lyrics. Some were more rock oriented and some were more trance oriented.. this one was slightly more on the rock side. The first time I heard it I was disappointed because I thought trance was starting to turn into rock.. luckily this was all a fad. Inger's voice is pretty good but seems so opposite the sound of most trance vocalists. Jaren, Justine Suissa, Jahala, Tiff Lacey, Zoe Johnston, etc. They're all so delicate and beautiful but his isn't. I guess that also plays into the "rock" vibe. It sounds a bit outdated to me, I'm not sure why. Something about it makes me think of the late 80s.. at least the chorus. It's a pretty good song, but I listen to trance for trance! I'll listen to alternative if I want alternative. If you want a few good examples from this stint try out Nic Chagall - What you Need, Paul van Dyk - Let Go, ATB - Wrong Medication, and Ben Gold - Say the Words (the tranciest one out of the bunch). Overall.. 6/10

San Antonio Harbour Dub Mix : HERE we go! This is trance. He took out the vocals and put in a gorgeous uplifting melody. He also put in the guitar melody for just a little bit so that it's not so differentiated from the original mix. I enjoy it too, it's quite nice and calming and fits well with the euphoric and beautiful pad melody. It's uplifting and progressive and gorgeous and just what I love in a trance song! It's no wonder DJ Shah made it, with 17 aliases (5 of which he uses relatively often), he routinely makes uplifting and beautiful trance tunes. Many of which are classified as what's called "Balearic trance" from the term "Balearic beat" which is known for it's heavy beach influence. Seeing as I love the beach, I'm bound to enjoy his productions. If it sounds like something that would be interesting check out his 2CD producer album "Sunny Tales" he made under his alias "Sunlounger". 8+/10

Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 07-21-2009 at 11:49 PM.
CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote