Music Banter - View Single Post - Tom Waits
Thread: Tom Waits
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #300 (permalink)
Little_Wing
Groupie

I accidentally posted this in Avant-Garde/Experimental earlier today, and was directed here. For whatever reason, I didn't find this thread in my search.

"Wondering how the general populace feels about this man?

I heard Nighthawks at the Diner first, and loved it. Couldn't get enough of it. Now I'm hearing Rain Dogs for the first time, and it's good for a first listen, but needs to grow.

I'm assuming - partially based on the size of his catalogue - that people may like some of his material and hate others.

I've watched every interview I could get my hands on and watched a bunch of live performances to try and get a feel for him, and he strikes me as brilliant, so I feel he deserves an attentive and thorough chance."

All that was before reading every single post in this thread. I think I was right in my instinct that this guy will continue to grow on me, because as of now I love him, and there were some very insightful replies here over the past 5 years/31 pages.

I think I'll give Closing Time and The Heart of Saturday Night a shot next, as those are the only other two I've got for now. After those, I may look into the more daunting Bone Machine, etc.

I'm very open-minded, and am excited to hear these albums that have been warned against as being too overwhelming for the first-time listener. I can't wait!
Little_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote