Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 01:34 AM   #723 (permalink)
JKSmith
rocknroll forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUsed2lguy View Post
I agree with you, because scientifically, faith usually makes a person healthier, happier. Whether they're experiencing the 'placebo effect' is irrelevant from a utilitarian standpoint.

However, some very Orthodox Christians take a very imperialistic religious approach, which is to tell people if they don't believe Jesus died for our sins, they are going to hell. Many evangelists and their followers operate on fear and control and that is just the fact of it.

The orthodox aspect of religion is what makes the zealots seem insane. It's like this, 'I'm not really sure if I believe all this is true, but the more people I can convince, the more I convince myself' attitude. I just think people should let people be who they want to be, but for god's sake, if you want to share your religion with other people, and show them how great it is, don't use threats at the very least.
Yes, I hate when fellow Christians shove their beliefs down people's throats. It gives the rest of us a bad name. I also hate when atheists do it.
"HATE, although an overrated concept, is just one of the basic building blocks of society, and although it does not cause PROGRESS, it does cause society to change, be it for the better or for the worse.

LOVE, on the other hand, does cause PROGRESS. Or, at least some type of MORAL MOTIVATION does. Without one of these, there would be no WARS, no REVOLUTIONS, no RISE or FALL of societies, groups or belief systems." --JK Smith
JKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote