Music Banter - View Single Post - Tom Waits
Thread: Tom Waits
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #307 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Well what don't you like about them? Just that he's trying to croon and "can't" or is there something more?

With Downtown Train, and possibly Blind Love (I'd have to look), you've got some of his better writing lyrically. I think what dooms that song is that we've all heard the Rod Stewart version, and Wait's comes off like a flat version of Stewarts.

Still, and this may be an aestheic thing, Downtown Train is a story I've lived and so for me, the image of waiting on the trains for someone is such a depressing story I can't help but think its great. In the general scheme of things, that song has the Gatsby vibe I dig so much, that the city can be more ferocious and lonely than the woods ever were.

What else don't you like on the B side?
well there's those three ballads and then there's numbers like Union Square, which i've never been particularly fond of. i suppose i'm making more of a stink about it than i should be, but i just don't understand why there's so much love for Rain Dogs when albums like Swordfishtrombones are so solid all the way through.