Music Banter - View Single Post - Time Accelerating
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
Watch this BBC documentary. This is the first of several. Try and stick with it and watch the rest.
There are many different types of time. As far as we're concerned the way we measure time, is with what is basically an abstract concept that has little bearing on real time...as you'll discover.
The idea of time speeding up is ridiculous to us because as far as we're concerned, time is relative.
In other words, if time was accelerating...we probably wouldn't even notice.
I'm no expert, but the notion of us entering some kind of 4th/5th dimension (or whatever theusedtool is on about), quite frankly, is bollocks.

Firstly, I would just like to say the vid with the rats on cocaine and weed was hilarious. Made my day.

Secondly, I didn't really gleam any information within the entirety of the documentary that I wasn't able to discern from reality (minus specific experiments), but it was fun to watch.

If anything, I'm a little disappointed that the physicist (who I've seen in other documentaries) didn't delve a little deeper into the subject and possibly propose some theories regarding tangible aspects of time outside of just us having a physical function of recognizing it and all of life being bound by it.

Where I sidestep in this issue is that even while time may be specifically a biological mechanism used to create an observing perspective, I believe that mechanism isn't a property of anything but observing lifeforms. That's why I believe time is a function we're dependent on, as observing lifeforms, but not an intrinsic property of all matter, and nor is it depended on by all matter in order to exist.
Knowing that specifically makes time an observational function.
A biological clock doesn't need observation. It's no different than a process of change that's cyclic.

Last edited by Freebase Dali; 06-22-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote