Music Banter - View Single Post - Gift From Me To You Series
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Artist: Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip
Album: Angles
Year: 2008

I know I've sent this album off to a couple of people in the past, but never in mass before. This album, along with Sadistik's album "The Balancing Act" were quite easily my two favourite hip hop albums of 2008. This album is set up like the more traditional hip hop groups with one DJ (Dan Le Sac) and one MC (Scroobius Pip). Dan Le Sac's beats are very electro based, sometimes a little bit in the minimalistic area, but the way they flow with Scroobius Pip's lyrics are really well done. One song in particular serious sounds like Sonic Youth in the background, which for being a hip hop group that's quite an achievement. The one thing that really puts this album at the top of my list for 2008 was due to the extremely well written and intelligent lyrics. There are two songs in particular that are extremely depressing, but each have a deep meaning behind it and are delievered very well. It's the last song however "Waiting For The Beat To Kick In" that sold me though. It's told in a sort of... "Christmas Carol" style, in which a man (Scroobius Pip) is in place similar to New York City and he meets with three people who each give him a piece of advise to help his life for the better. All of the advice given to him was extremely relevent to me, so that's why the album has stuck so well to me. Do not let the low score on Pitchfork Media (.02) throw you off. In one song Scroobius Pip talks about how people put recording artists on ridiculouls pedistls and then goes to list 15 artists who generally make up the Top 20 Bands of all Time as being "just a band". That really seemed to piss off the reviewer who spent the entire review scatching him for that, rather than praising him for his songs about suicide, religion, relationship issues, social norms, and so on. I hope you guys enjoy this album more than Rehabs.

LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote