Music Banter - View Single Post - How Real Is Christianity?
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #837 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
No need to apologize, I wouldn't read and respond if I didn't find the deciphering worth the work.

Your point, an eloquent extremley thoughtful one. is very well taken and my only defense is that to me "God" is just a word. I have no experience with it in any other form nor do I feel anyone who says they have is sincere so I have no reason to think of it as anything but. So I feel more then qualified to assert I feeling of absolute doubt without proof. It's really no more ridiculous then believing in the first place.

I don't care for the flying spaghetti+ monster argument but I think the spirit of it applies here. Does the absence of disproof equal proof. Obviously I don't think so.
I completely empathize with your viewpoint because it used to be my own, and I can remember being on your side of the argument in similar environments. That means I also know that I can express certain aspects of my beliefs to you, and they probably wouldn't mean much, if anything, but at the same time I see great value in the two of us understanding each other since that is the only basis on which meaningful personal relations can be established. As such, I'll say that I think that you, just by trying to understand my arguments, are participating in God, because you are developing your own thoughts which are simply part of the universe, so you are helping to develop the universe. As such, I see this as investing us all with an enormous responsibility to help encourage the sort of reality we would like to see develop. On a more abstract level, just by trying to take one of my thoughts and trying to make it your own, our consciousnesses are merging on a level beyond the words themselves, and this process is simply that of two becoming one, which is the life affirmative drive toward unity.

phew.
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote