Music Banter - View Single Post - Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others but Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others...
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #68 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

If I understand correctly, you argue that the interests of the lower classes are looked after because some of the lower class people rise up and become part of the upper crust. They can then govern with their humble beginnings in mind. It probably does happen and I think it's good and also probably an important political strategy for those who can - promote your humble beginnings so that you can gain popularity with the lower class people who feel they can relate to you.

It probably does help quite a bit, but it's still not a system where the lowest social classes fare well enough so that they are well represented in the governing bodies. Politicians here are not always from the higher levels of society. Some of them are students, some of them are fishermen, plumbers or even race car drivers. They come from all kinds of places and careers and aside from then relating well to the people they're supposed to govern, I think it generally fits better with the idea of a democracy.

edit :

Almost forgot to reply to your point about different peoples in society. I agree it can be a really big problem in a society, perhaps especially because it can create an "us and them" mentality with people where they really feel like different groups in a nation rather than parts of a whole. One group of people can then be governed by another group of people whom they see as "them" and not "us". It's a huge problem to tackle and at least I think having a sort of basic culture which does not discriminate or divide people is perhaps the first place to start. The separation of church and state for example - it makes sense that muslims will feel slightly alienated in a country where christian values and teachings are represented everywhere, in politics, education, health care.

I'm sure many christians won't agree, but it's obviously not about christianity, just about creating a society which is more open basically.

.. And then there are other things you'd have to do to tackle it as well of course - such as getting the different groups represented in the different governing bodies.