Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #2429 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieasleep View Post
ok 1. noise pop isn't really that hip and i don't like it either but i do appreciate a lot of it for being original. 2. just because something is "hip" does not mean that it is bad. Popular music is usually bad, i.e. Britney Spears, the Backstreet Boys, Katie Perry (to name some rather obvious and cliche artists) but there is a lot of really good, hip music that is out there today that is being written off just because it is hip. a good example being Neutral Milk Hotel (and don't write this statement off as being rubbish just because i am a huge fan) but they are a very noted "hip band" who made some REALLY interesting and different music, other examples being, Of Montreal, Olivia Tremor Control (and most stuff from the E6 collective), the Fleet Foxes, Vampire Weekend, The Unicorns, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sufjan Stevens, The Smiths, the Fall, The Soft Boys, Stereolab, Regina Spektor, the Decemberists, Arcade Fire, My Birghtest Diamond, Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah, Joy Division, Grizzley Bear, the Hold Steady, etc. They all make really interesting and IMO GREAT music, they are all, also very hip.

i just hate seeing great music getting written off because of their fan base (not saying that is what you are doing, but a lot of people will do that) like dave matthews getting written off because he is bro music

i do agree about the VU's influence being overstated. they were highly influential, especially in a lot of the bands i just named lol but not as much as the beatles.
Ugh, that's the kinda vile crap I'm talking about.

I do like a lot of those bands you mentioned though.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.