Music Banter - View Single Post - Satchmo's Jive Essence 42
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #81 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Bitches Brew is an interesting one... I like it, but considering the credit it is given in his overall body of work, it has always fallen short with me. Much prefer Silent Way, 'Round About Midnight, KOB, Sketches and Live Evil over it.
It really must be appreciated in its historical context. Much of the credit it's given is due to the fact that it's such a primal piece of music and it was the introduction to a different side of Miles' playing and conceptual skills. In 1970 when this album was released the world of jazz hadn't no precedent for the visceral experience that this album provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazi Kat View Post
Having trouble finding a place to download Bitches Brew and Lady Soul. If anybody wants to send me a PM for either of them, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyways, great review Satchmo. I've heard the name of this album and of course Davis's name being thrown around by music fans, but I never got interested enough to go out seeking this album. Sometimes it takes something more profound then just a "you should check out mile davis, he is a musician that plays jazz!" to really make me want to sink my teeth into an artist's discography, your review did a good job of peaking my interest. I always love having insight into an artist or album before I listen, especially their history and all, it makes the listening experience better for some reason. Maybe I prefer focusing on one individual at a time, instead of having somebody post a long wall of china sized block of text filled with musicians and bands that I need to check. These kinds of threads are a much more organic way of getting into music and you do a great job of introducing people to bands or musicians they have never heard of.
I'm on it.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote