Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Journey to Becoming a Guitarist
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezyridr View Post
for me, when i first started to play, i was obsessed. any free moment i had, literally, ANY free moment i had, i practiced and played. i did that for over a year. after that i got up the courage to find other people to jam with, and sought out people who were better than me. i spent all my spare $$ on gear, except for a fri nite pizza and a small bag of weed. if you're bored, i would take that as a sign to move on to what excites you. life is short. don't be bored.
ABSOLUTELY!

to the OP - don't stick to playing what you already know. how would you improve?

when i started learning i went right for the most ridiculous stuff i could get my hands on with the expectation to 'fail'. hendrix's 'little wing' was the 2nd song i tried learning. it's NOT a beginner's tune and it kicked my ass all over the place - until the solo. i could nail that wonderfully simple lead line without much hassle and it encouraged me to keep going for more.

after trying that song for a few weeks going back to 'simpler' tunes that had given me problems earlier on i found myself breezing through some of their more 'complicated' passages.

i think the attitude that one needs to be 'better' before they're able to progress is ultimately self-defeating and worthless. if you want to play lead lines then start playing lead lines, if you want to play complex songs instead of 3 chord stum-a-longs then do it up. there's no checklist out there that you have to hit X amount of milestones in order to be good enough to level up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote