Music Banter - View Single Post - The Quiet Man in the Corner
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
CanwllCorfe
Quiet Man in the Corner

I've done a lot of epic trance.. so I'll switch it up

Progressive House:

Kid Massive - 4K (Moonbeam Remix)
Label : Avanti
Release : June 8th, 2009
Versions : Original, Kid Massive Rework, Moonbeam Remix, Homm & Popoviciu Remix, Hugo Barritt Remix

They did it again! Moonbeam is one of the most talented duos in the electronic scene right now.. and maybe one of the weirdest looking. Nothing against them though I'm just putting it out there. They go by the names of Pavel Khvaleyev and Vitaliy Khvaleyev.. and yes they are brothers. This song contains a riff they have become to be kind of known for. They have experienced a recent and explosive increase in popularity from their remix of Rachael Starr's To Forever appearing on Tiesto's In Search of Sunrise 7 Asia.. containing that same riff. It's hard to explain but I can liken it to being underwater. Either that or breathing in air on a rather brisk day.. whatever you choose it's a very smooth and pulsating sound that is incredible. After this melody fades out, the song switches up with a break that introduces a techy melody that helps make the song a little more danceable and lively. After the melody fades away and the riff in the beginning gets reintroduced it's like being washed over with water after being outside on a hot day. It just goes from danceable to this soft and oneiric melody that's so beautiful and haunting. One of the better songs I've heard in some time. Check out this song and the To Forever remix to see why they've rose to popularity so quickly. 8+/10

Progressive Trance:

Robert Vadney - Black Clown (off of his album/EP Shadowlove Anthems)
Label : Perfecto Records
Release : May 26th, 2009
Songs : Intro, Tonight I Died (In Your Arms), Funeral For My Valentine, Unison Decay, Hopeless Romantic, Black Clown, Sandman

He doesn't look like the conventional trance producer does he? Exactly! He's all about being controversial and going against the grain. This entire release is filled with a whole dark, romantic kind of feel that reminds me of HIM. Not that they're the same.. because this is unlike anything ever made. He combines really heart-wrenching classical elements such as piano and violin(esque) melodies. This song to me sums up the release best. It is complete with rather lugubrious lyrics and subtle, sad melodies. It may sound a bit downlifting but that's kind of the idea. It's a really gorgeous piece of music that captures the essence of dark, tragic, romance that I feel he's going for. I suggest you try his gorgeous track A Day In Heaven, Second Sky, and his techy remix of Mariola's Music Travel. 8+/10

Electro House:

Spencer & Hill - Cool / Heads Off
Label : Tiger Records
Release : June 1st 2009, June 22nd 2009
Versions : Cool (Original, Cool Mix) Heads Off (Original, Bastian van Shield Remix)

Cool : Well they're commercial for a reason! They can sure as hell produce a catchy, electro, grooving song that is perfect for the dance floor. They might not sound familiar but Manuel Reuter (a.k.a. Josh Hill) is one of the producers behind Cascada. Whether that's good or bad, it's pretty impressive he can go from hard dance to electro house and be popular both ways. Manuel Schleis is also in a lot of groups but produces quite a bit with Mr. Reuter. This song contains the usual vocals from a girl who's name I don't know. She has the perfect voice though, it's rather monotone but it has dynamic as well. The same lyrics get repeated over and over through the song "What you think that we think is cool" and become a melody that attaches itself to my brain and won't let go. The main melody sounds like a dizzying riff that, to me, oozes sex. Then again electro house is known for it's rather indelible sexual influence. Songs like Hey Baby by Deadmau5 & Mellefresh don't shy away from this and rather embrace it. The lyrics have nothing to do with sex, but it just has that feeling of ignorance and it just works. 9/10

Heads Off : This song is a much more fun, dancey song than Cool. "We gonna dance our heads off" are the main lyrics and are accompanied with a really light and happy subtle pad synth that reminds me of trance. Then again both Reuter & Schleis have produced in the trance scene so they know all about it and without a doubt include some influences. The main melody reminds me a lot of 90s commercial trance so it gives me a heavy dose of nostalgia which is really nice. It has that uplifting break but the melody is free of that feeling and just goes straight into a hard hitting riff. There's something about it that just seems rather choppy.. but a fantastic tune nonetheless. 8/10

Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 07-21-2009 at 11:52 PM.
CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote