Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Journey to Becoming a Guitarist
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rx Tone
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Y View Post
Alright. So I have left the drums aside for now (since I don't have a kit) and have picked up the guitar. So far I have progressed decently but I don't find playing fun (I do like the idea of playing the guitar and being very good at it, but this is irrelevant). I just hope it becomes more fun as I learn more, so far I feel the more I learn, the more bored I become.It could just be personal taste but I just want to hear if any of you went through the same thing I'm going through. If not, maybe I should pack things up and leave it to you pros lol. I was hoping you could share your journey with us.
You trying to learn from books, a friend, a teacher...or just making stuff up and thrashing around?

I suggest asking one of your friends who plays to show you some shortcuts, patterns and licks from music that you like...but I'm sure you've already had that idea.

If you already know a few chords, go to the library and find a "Fake Book" It's a book of hundreds of songs that shows chords and a simple single note lead line. You'll see/learn lots of new chords and how they fit together to make music.
That way you're learning songs that you like instead of tedious exercises.

Good luck.
Rx Tone is offline   Reply With Quote