Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Journey to Becoming a Guitarist
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Y View Post
No I completely understand man. Thanks. You think you could help me learn Let It Die by the Foo Fighters Mr. Dave? I can't hold the notes properly and I got some questions regarding tabs.
i'll see what i can do.

this is the tab i'm looking at - seems about right. Let It Die Tab by Foo Fighters

for the first bit you're only moving a mash up of the open G and C chord shapes the notes on the high E are played with your ring finger, the B string is your index and the others are handled by your middle finger. there is a bit of a tricky bit but if you take it slow it's not that bad.

so the two main 'chords' up to the first chorus are:

e--8---5------
B--6---3------
G--0---0------
D--8---5------
A-------------
E-------------

notice how the relative spacing between the notes stays the same, that way you don't have to move the fingers on the top two strings much.

the middle 'tricky' bit is where your middle finger takes control

chord 1********tricky*****chord 2
e||-----8----- --------- -----5------||
B||-------6--- --------- -------3----||
G||---------0- --0---0-- -0-------0--||
D||--/8------- ----7---5 ---5--------||
A||----------- 8-------- ------------||
E||----------- ---------- ----------||

hold the first chord shape when you start the tricky bit as you want those notes to keep ringing. by the time you're hitting the note at the 7th fret they should be dying out to the point where you can relax your fingers (and silence the notes). the end of the tricky bit allows you to move your hand down the neck two frets and get in position so that you can be ready to let the high notes ring out from chord 2.

the chorus sticks to the open C shape but you change frets when you alternate between playing the high notes and low notes pairings (either skipping strings between B and D or alternating between A and D).

the open C shape is in full effect again for the bridge only this time you add a little extra pizazz on the high E with your little finger.

the power chords and pedal point breakdown seem pretty straight forward.

hope this helps, the only way to nail the acoustic bit in this song is practice. incidentally that chord shape is only missing the bass note octave on the low E to be the same one Hendrix used for the intro to 'Castles Made of Sand'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote