Music Banter - View Single Post - The Anthill - Anteater's Reviews of the Curious & Obscure
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #59 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons (2002)

Track Listing

1. Elements (8:41)
2. Space Walk (7:03)
3. Ramblin' Man (7:08)
4. Return to Patagonia (8:41)
5. Nice Weather for Ducks (6:08)
6. Experiment No. 6 (5:54)
7. Closer (7:24)
8. The Curse of Ka'Zar (9:01)

Everyone has an ideal soundtrack to doing nothing to. Maybe its folk. Maybe its Sonic Youth. Hell, there are probably weirdos out there who lay back on sunny green hills and stare at the clouds while listening to Mr. Bungle. The world is full of all kinds after all.

For me, the album to listening to while lazing about is a breezy little gem from 2002 called Lost Horizons, the work of the less-than-prolific duo Nick Franglen and Fred Deakin under the moniker of Lemon Jelly, where along with about a thousand other contributors bring to life colorful sample-littered soundscapes which cross such diverse territories as Return to Forever-eque jazz-fusion (The Curse Of Ka'Zar) to cinematic lounge-house (Experiment Number Six), and awe-inspiring dream-tred soundscapes that hurl your auditory senses through sky and space alike (Closer, Space Walk). Much of it has a sort of Eastern vibe in the drums and guitar, but nothing blatent enough to point out directly. If anything, it complements this album greatly and gives it bite compared to other records of its ilk.

In short, for an ambient album (electronic tendencies aside), this is a rather diverse offering; the tracks all exude different moods and hence there's something here for everyone. The production quality is vibrant to say the least and there's enough going on beneath the surface to reward those that pay attention. For everyone else though, a good deal of this falls into the sort of tuneage you'd play on a walk down the street, alone in a quiet place or in the midst of doing something else. You can pay attention to it, but its not necessary to enjoy it, and hence this succeeds as an album for me.

Hence, if you are seeking a laid-back yet energetic diversity in your ambient/electronica collections, Lost Horizons is something to look for. Here's two tracks for sampling purposes-

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 09-13-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote