Music Banter - View Single Post - Nirvana
Thread: Nirvana
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
BTown
super cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
There was this night a few months ago where I was just obsessing over Smells Like Teen Spirit for no apparent reason. I felt like I really needed "get it" more deeply than I did. I was pouring over the lyrics; listening to the song over and over again. I came across that interview and it was kinda' like a revelation for me.
As much as I don't like, well its not that I don't like it, I honestly don't know what to say, but like;
A lot of times when i talk to people about nirvana they'll be like "oh they did smells like teen spirit" or "Oh the Smells Like Teen Spirit ya i like that one" and they don't know what it means, don't know anything about Nirvana and it just angers me, i know they are just casual Nirvana fans but its just the one songs that everyone knows and in my opinion there are so much more nirvana than just nevermind and songs with even better messages. I am definitaly grateful for Smells Like Teen Spirit being written with Nirvana in my opinion rock n roll's last gasp of air, but just the fact it's so well known not for the message but for prety much breaking open alternative rock into the mainstream of music. I' not gonna lie, I was one of those people at oen time to, i heard Smells Like Teen Spirit on like the radio years ago and was like "oh my god nirvana so sweet i love nevermind" and then i really tarted looking into it and was like wow.

Back to what i was saying before I got all that out, I kind of got the same thing after really looking into Teen Spirit's meaning and what Kurt Cobain really wanted out of that song.