Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #380 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

First Impressions

Anteater sent me 1995 by the band Screaming Headless Torso along with the description "I think you'll enjoy these guys quite a bit. They're a jazz fusion band with a lot of funk, energy and hip-hop sensibility, led by insanely talented guitarist David Fiuczynski and vocalist extraordinaire Dean Bowman. Great stuff!"

I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll keep it. I found them to be very much like the Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band album lucifer_sam sent me ages ago. Now not exactly sound wise, but in the sense that it was some good music, but left me feeling unsure of whether or not I'd listen to it again in a sober mindset. I was perhaps not in the greatest mindset yesterday when I was listening to it because I was suffering from lack of sleep, an empty stomach, and a bit too much sun so perhaps I didn't give it the attention it truly deserved. The one thing I really did like about the album was the fact that it could transcend so many different styles of music, but do it in a way that it sounded like the band did it all the time. When most artists try and do that transcend between genres they give off a rather mediocre experience, like trying to give two handjobs, a blow job, and DP at once(sorry best analogy I could come up with) but end up giving a rather bland experience for all parties. Screaming Headless Torso didn't give off that impression so already that shows how talented the musicians in the band are. I found myself enjoying their hip hop songs the most, they could lay down some really stellar beats. So I'll give this another listen later on in the week and will probably end up keeping it for those days where I feel like listening to something strange or I'm just fucked out of my mind I don't care what's playing in the background.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote