Music Banter - View Single Post - Selected Sounds from a Sweet Wolf and 3 Small Animals Partying in A Cave
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #89 (permalink)
WWWP
county fair energy

Against Me! - Acoustic EP

Jordan's First Choice
Those Anarcho Punks Are Mysterious
Reinventing Axl Rose
We Did It All For Don
Pints of Guiness Make You Strong
Untitled (Armageddon)

"What?! An acoustic ep by Against Me!? Isn't that kind of redundant?" you might ask.
The answer, baby birds, is "NO!" Well... perhaps the answer is "maybe," but fuck it. This is the shit. This is definitely a masterpiece, and by far my favorite thing they've put out. I love folk music, and I also loves obnoxious, energetic vocals. Needless to say when I first listened to the Acoustic EP I felt like as though all was right in the world. It's angsty, it's energetic, it's legit.

There are six tracks, and I could review them all, but I'm feeling tired and/or lazy so I'm just going to talk about my favorites, and hopefully it will convince you to ask for a link (Peter, I'm looking at you.) Jordan's First Choice is a perfect opening track, and is possibly my all-time favorite from the band. (This version is really similar to the version that reappears on their debut, but I like this one better. The other might sound more "raw," but this version has such a fragile feel to it. It's great.)
The next song, Those Anarcho Punks Are Mysterious is ****ing great too. Maybe even better than the first, and coincidentally also one of my favorites. There's a part in the song when the guitar stops and there's only clapping and vocals... it's orgasmic. We rock, because it's us against them/ we found our own reasons to sing/ and it's so much less confusing/ when lines are drawn like that.
Next up, Pints of Guiness Make You Strong. Against Me! have got to be one of the most beautiful and sincere things to come out of folk-punk. I absolutely adore this song. It's so sad, and so great to find something so geniune and good without a trace of contrived "emo." If we're never together/ if i'm never back again/ well i swear to god that i'll love you forever/ Evelyn, i'm not coming home tonight./ In all the years that went by/ she said she'd always love him/ and from the day that he died she never loved again.

This album is a great starting place for someone who might not be the biggest fan of Against Me!. The music's softer, and maybe even more accessible. There's more emphasis on the lyrics, which is great because the they carry a more defined melody. Hit me up for a link, I'll be more than happy to share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
WWWP is pretty but should be cancelled (digital blackface)

#DEMODFROWNLAND
#TERMLIMITSFORMODERATORS
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote