Music Banter - View Single Post - Selected Sounds from a Sweet Wolf and 3 Small Animals Partying in A Cave
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #90 (permalink)
sweet_nothing
Da Hiphopopotamus

Thanks for the support all 2 of you!

“Selling acid was a bad idea, and selling it to a cop was an even worse one”

The Mountain Goats- All Hail West Texas
To show that I’m just as hip as the rest of you let’s start to dive into the more obscure side of my music taste. All Hail West Texas is an concept lofi folk album and the cover states that the album is composed of "fourteen songs about seven people, two houses, a motorcycle, and a locked treatment facility for adolescent boys". John Danielle (pretty much the only person behind The Mountain Goats) fills the album with rich stories, the album it’s self as you’d expect from a folk album its dependent on the lyrics and the music (guitar chord strumming) takes a backseat to this but the album doesn’t suffer from this. Danielle is a very talented story teller the opening track (and my personal favorite) The Best Death Metal Band in Denton tells the story of Cyrus and Jeff who dream of making it big with their Death Metal band (though they never settled on a name for it). The story is great and detailed which is echoed through the album, and I never knew ‘Hail Satan’ could sound so catchy. The second track Fall of the Star High School Running Back is another fav of mine is about former star running back William Stanaforth Donahue who is reduced to selling acid after blowing out his knee at a game but and is later busted by the cops. I’m not really sure how to explain the album without giving away the plot of the songs, because then you wouldn't really have any reason to listen to the album. Audio is lofi i.e. shitty bedroom quality but that makes the songs more humble, some might completely hate it and find it boring but I find it just as entertaining as I would a Bob Dylan record. The songs are worth hearing for the nice short stories, small windows into the lives of the people that occupy west Texas. I recommend it to anyone into folk music anyone else might be interested in Danielle’s story telling while others will be completely turned off by the shitty audio and simple guitar work.

Favorite Tracks:
The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton
Balance
Fall of the Star High School Running Back
Jeff Davis County Blues
Color in Your Cheeks
Source Decay
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartsengrafs View Post
sweet nothing openly flaunts the fact that he is merely the empty shell of an even more unadmirable member. his loneliness and need for attention bleeds through every letter he types. edit: i would just like to add that i'm ashamed that he's from texas. surely you didn't grow up in texas, did you sweet nothing?

Last edited by sweet_nothing; 06-29-2009 at 08:59 PM.
sweet_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote