Music Banter - View Single Post - The Crowe 100
Thread: The Crowe 100
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #91 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

16. Beck - Sea Change (2002)

This was a tough decision. What got me into listening to whole Beck albums was that psychedelic, funk sound from "Midnite Vultures" - specifically the song Mixed Bizness. Of course, my musical past had been treated to his radio hits like "Loser" and his great singles from "Odelay" (Where It's At, Devil's Haircut and The New Pollution). But I suppose the best way to put it is: I came for the singles, was surprised by Midnite Vulture, but I stay around for Sea Change. Beck is widely regarded as a music genius, though sometimes according to some critics - he is regarded as insincere a veritable "Pop-class-clown" if you will. Beck, so the story goes, was in the death throes of a relationship - or possibly the grave when he was recording Sea Change. The beauty and heartfelt pain can be felt immensely as this record effortlessly rolls along. Tracks like "Lost Cause" and "Guess I'm Doing Fine" are the heart's version of sado-masochistic actions. It hurts... but it hurts so good. This brings out feelings that a dance album like MV just can't do, though it doesn't deliver on the same kind of fun... that's ok, though.

Check out: Lost Cause, Already Dead, Guess I'm Doing Fine.

15. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979)

Like I have to explain this to anyone at MB, an all around fave here it seems. Joy Division was not a band I got into instantly - I just didn't get it. I feel like it takes some life experiences to start understanding the sinister element that makes up the foundation of the rest of the albums dangerous and dark atmosphere. What did I get from this album? I think, without trying to sound too corny or cliche somehow.... I think that it was the beauty of darkness - not beauty in the visual asthetic (which is an odd comment on darkness, where nothing is seen) but rather the sound of sorrow. Even more strange to me is the fact that it is "catchy" like an early ****ing Beatles track. "Transmission" is relentlessy catchy and dancy at that. "She's Lost Control"... morbid and still catchy. The music is not just soundwaves either... it is tangible, bittersweet airborne tar... you don't listen to this album, you FEEL it. I only wish I had caught on sooner, like many other entries this would have been helpful earlier in life.

Check out: Shadowplay, She's Lost Control, Disorder, Transmission (on the bonus 2007 disc)

14. The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin (1999)

Rarely do I comment on the prodcution of a record simply because I don't know enough about the **** to make any intelligent comments. That won't change here, but this is a lush album that talks about all of the things that I write about when I do lyrics - and there is no ultra-unique ideas coming out of me, or the Flaming Lips for that matter... however, what they do uniquely is the approach. Dealing with subjects from commentating on the futility of existence - this album leaks quick silver existentialism and that... that is where this album truly stands out for me. As one who likes to wax philosophical, I love having something from which to draw conversation or even personal thoughts... a time for self important, self described mental grandeur - that is as about as grand as a sparkler in Time Square on New Years, but nevertheless... reflection. This album also gets a lofty praise "Pet Sounds of the 90s" - yeah, well, maybe... I prefer to think of it as The Soft Bulletin... uhhh, it doesn't need to follow anything it is the X of X it is it's own piece and while comparisons are almost necessary in the critique game... I just can't say that anything would do this album justice, except itself. The only person who can cut Chuck Norris IS Chuck Norris.... unfortunate throwback to a non-hilarious fad... but true. This is an album that you need to be reading the lyrics while you listen to lead singer Wayne Coyne and his fragile upper register. I just can't articulate a good comparison. If this is the only album from the 90s you ever decide to listen to, it isn't a bad choice. Also watch out for the big question: are we alone in the universe? "I stoop up and I said yeeeahhh..."

Check out: A Spoonful Weighs a Ton, The Spark that Bled, Waitin' for a Superman, Race for the Prize

13. Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me (1987)

I'll have to write about this later.

Last edited by Crowe; 06-30-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote