Music Banter - View Single Post - What Makes A Good First Person Shooter: A Series
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_nothing View Post
How was the first original or groundbreaking? Haven't you ever played Medal of Honor?

Anyway, Half Life 2 and Portal are great first person shooters with amazing story lines and fun puzzles, even though both are lacking in what I think helps make a great FPS, multiplayer they more than make up for in story and gameplay. Where as the Halo series has a pretty average story line it makes up for in amazing multiplayer I used to stay up till 3 am playing it, until COD4 came out which has just as good multiplayer if not better but add an interesting story and you have a very memorable FPS. I'm very glad they are making a sequel/ spin off series which is good for the COD series because WW2 games are about as old as the war itself.
The first Call of Duty was one that actually give off the feeling that you were a part of a group with friendly A.I. In Medal of Honor: Frontline, you play throughout a good portion of the game by yourself, save for the amazing Normandy Beach landing and further assault on Saint-Mathieu you're pretty much alone for the game. It also doesn't help that the Medal of Honor series has been going on for longer than the war itself, then again Call of Duty hit that mark this year as well.

As far as multiplayer is concerned, while I think that it's pretty ignorant to say that multiplayer isn't an important part of gameplay, I feel that developers are using that as an excuse to work less on an actual story and character development in favor of tapping the multiplayer market. Besides Real Time Strategy games like Starcraft and Warcraft 2, I didn't play any FPS's online til 2001 when I got Counter-Strike. By 2001, I had already been playing FPS for 7 years and grew so use to the computer A.I. that when faced against players, I couldn't seem to get any better. I think developers need to acknowledge the fact that not everyone plays online and actually put some more effort into formulating a story that's actually worth the play time.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote