Music Banter - View Single Post - Climate Change - Fact or Fiction?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
Fruitonica
Pale and Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiseido red View Post
I read somewhere about the Earth having cycles according to what is happening on the sun.

For example, at the moment here in Australia for the last 12 years we have been experiencing serious 'drought' and everybody is all like, "Oh no, climate change is occurring that look what's happening, it's getting really hot and we're stuck in drought." BUT weather experts have come to the conclusion that Australia was like this for hundreds of years, then went through a wet stage, and now is back to 'normal' Australia weather (i.e. very hot and dry.)

I don't know if that anecdote is really relevant to this discussion or not, but I just thought that this viewpoint - of the Earth having these cycles that it goes through - is interesting. In my opinion humans really have little impact on these cycles, but it's still beneficial to try and reduce our footprint and look after the environment.
I think you're at least partly referring to Milankovitch cycles when you mention the sun, which predict how the Earth's orbit and tilt change in comparison to the sun over time.
This isn't really related to Australia's drought, just because the cycles are too long for them to affect much over the last few hundred years, but I have heard the same thing said on the radio that our drought is basically a reversion to the normal. Which is a bit of a bummer.
Fruitonica is offline   Reply With Quote