Music Banter - View Single Post - An Ideal God
Thread: An Ideal God
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #26 (permalink)
Inuzuka Skysword
Existential Egoist

Let me rephrase the question of this thread because it has become another atheist vs. Christianity thread. What I am asking is can we create a god for ourselves that will actually motivate use to pursue our happiness without getting in the way. An undesirable god is one that creates a justice system for us because that undermines our control over our own destiny.

Religion in the past has viewed their gods as the masters of the universe who control their lives. What if we could create a divine being in which we are the master of it or share the status of being a master with it? Of course, the one option is ourselves being gods, which we really are to a degree if you believe in free will. However, we don't have the divinity that "gods" have. So what kind of belief in a divine being would be able to sit out of our lives, but at the same time give us motivation to pursue happiness?

My idea is that instead of a religion creating us we create a religion for us that will actually benefit ourselves as individuals.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote