Music Banter - View Single Post - An Ideal God
Thread: An Ideal God
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
Lately I have been wondering what faith-based beliefs would actually do good for a person. These days we have a choice of gods who all say that we must do this to become happy. In other words, they require us to forget about our thinking and instead make us strive to lose our rational mind. There are also gods that make us feel as if we don't have control of our own existence. I feel like that is a problem to.
I feel like this is putting the cart before the horse, and implying that these gods exist. The gods aren't asking us to give up our rational mind, our rational mind is creating explanations for things we can't rationalize.

Zeus was created from a lack of understanding, and lightning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
Let me rephrase the question of this thread because it has become another atheist vs. Christianity thread. What I am asking is can we create a god for ourselves that will actually motivate use to pursue our happiness without getting in the way. An undesirable god is one that creates a justice system for us because that undermines our control over our own destiny.
Well its going to be Christianity vs. something if you're directly challenging the dominate religion in the anglo-sphere.

And Why would anyone but an atheist go about creating gods?