Music Banter - View Single Post - Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Megadead2
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
Lightbulb Sun is nowhere near as good as In Absentia. I wouldn't consider In Absentia their best though. Fear of a Blank Planet is just so damn good.
I actually like FoaBP even less than I like In Absentia, but that's for a different review.

Quote:
but yeah tbh, this is my favorite album of theirs, and i've heard basically their entire studio discography(woo torrents). I do agree that Blackest Eyes and Trains are the best songs on the album, hell, Trains is one of the best songs i've ever heard, but it seems like you're missing the real beauty of the rest of the album. idk, it seems like you're falling back on a bit of hate for the band to realize that these are really good songs, even if it's not like some of their previous works. It looks like you're really overanalyzing the songs instead of actually sitting back and enjoying them. i.e., I think Wedding Nails isn't trying to be "discordant and ugly" as much as it's just trying to pump you up and kick you in the face.
I have no hate for the band, in fact I also have their discography, but I do find all of their albums really frustrating because they contain material I love and cherish, but tend to not live up to that promise all the way through. I've had this CD for years and years and I've tried to tell myself I love it, but if I'm honest with myself there's only three or four songs on it that I actually listen to. A lot of people do tell me that I "overanalyze" but the thing is I can't help it, I try to engage music on every possible. I just don't think songs like "Strip the Soul" or "Lips of Ashes" are all that good, I feel like I could be listening to something else when they're on. I don't think "Wedding Nails" does as good a job of pumping me and kicking me in the face as it could, not in a world where bands like Shellac exist; it feels lukewarm, dull.

Quote:
i also feel that this has much more going for it as far as instrumentally and in terms of singability/catchyness. but then again, i'm a rocker/metalhead mainly, and i can understand if you don't enjoy this as much as it's pop oriented predecessor.
Personally I find Lightbulb Sun much catchier. Every song on that album has some sort of rich memorable melody.

Quote:
I think this is just a throwback to the old proggie tradition of lambasting whatever a band's most accessible work is.
Eh? I prefer Lightbulb Sun...and I dig mainstream dance-pop as well.

Quote:
Also, "bland alt rock" is a term I hate hearing, prog fans seem to use it obsessively. Strip the Soul is a 7 minute song that certainly doesn't follow the traditional pop structure and has long build ups and instrumental interludes, it's not like the radio is really logjammed with that kinda thing.
Realize that it's the "bland" and not the "alt rock" I take issue with (I'm a huge fan of Radiohead and Tool among others). Sure it's not a pop song structurally (maybe it would be better if it was, it might be more concise, I don't know) but it just isn't very memorable, or enjoyable for me to listen to. I also find your ranking of the songs completely bizarre except for #1, but different strokes I guess.
Megadead2 is offline   Reply With Quote