Music Banter - View Single Post - An Ideal God
Thread: An Ideal God
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Inuzuka Skysword
Existential Egoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
I feel like this is putting the cart before the horse, and implying that these gods exist. The gods aren't asking us to give up our rational mind, our rational mind is creating explanations for things we can't rationalize.

Zeus was created from a lack of understanding, and lightning.
What I am saying is that the religions that most people follow tell people to abandon themselves. I think this is a problem because in order for your self to be happy you must be-in-yourself.

I never implied that any sort of divine or spiritual exists. I am merely saying that if there is a positive aspect to believing in the divine and spiritual, how can we keep this while at the same time getting rid of the idea that god is more powerful than you and etc.

Because really, what if there is a positive to believing in a divine power? We don't just believe things because we think they are true, at least that isn't how I work. I personally take stances on things based on how I will benefit in the end aka what will lead me to happiness. So what if believing in the divine is part of achieving happiness? Then there must be some way to contain the belief in the divine without believing in divinity that they hinder our ability to exist ourselves or there is some divine punishment for choosing to live.

Basically, I ave already stated why Christianity is not the religion that is acceptable to this idea. Christianity states that there is a god above man that can interrupt man whenever he wants. It also say that you should believe in a morality based on the reason that the morality exists in a sacred text. That belief alone undermines the human.

See, I am not thinking about religion as it is traditionally thought out. Traditionally, God is the master and we are the slave. What I am saying is can we use the idea of god to make god our slave. What I mean is can we benefit at all in believing in a divine power that is limited to the extent where man becomes equal to it? Would it be cutting to the chase to view Man himself as the god of the universe?
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote