Music Banter - View Single Post - An Ideal God
Thread: An Ideal God
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
Inuzuka Skysword
Existential Egoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
What is stopping us from embracing our own divinity other than a handful of outmoded beliefs? The attributes that we ascribe to God are a transference of our own human qualities both good and bad. We say that God is vengeful because we are vengeful. We say God is compassionate because we have the capacity for compassion.
I'm speaking from a Judeo-Christian perspective simply because, as big3 previously reminded us most of our cultural upbringing has been in the "anglosphere" where our religious conditioning, theist or atheist, has been largely of the Christian paradigm.
If we truly believe God to be perfect and holy then we cannot ascribe qualities to "him" that we have already been lead to believe are "sin" such as wrath. we are culturally conditioned to believe in a God that has negative qualities that aren't inherently "his", but rather qualities we've ascribed to "him". If you at any point in time see yourself as a slave to God, then you are really a slave to a religion's influence on your perception of God.
That is what I am trying to say. In the past, religion told us that the god was our master and we were the slave. I am not saying I necessarily believe this. What I am asking is what is the best perception of god for an individualist if there is even a perception that benefits him. What kind of perception would benefit that individual? Monotheism or polytheism? A deist god or one who wants to intervene? A god of judgment or a god of tolerance? I think that by default the god must be equal to man or less than man, but if he is less than men then he cannot be truly considered a god. He would simply be divine.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote