Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #2546 (permalink)
Megadead2
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
This is when you gotta take historical context into account, there wouldn't be a Refused without a Sex Pistols.

And while they may not seem like much now, in 1977 it was a different story, this was a time when the radio was more full of stuff like Foreigner and Boston than it was with progressive rock, so to say Sex Pistols made rock "safe" is foolish.
The point isn't that they made rock safer than it was, it's that they just weren't much more "dangerous" than those bands. They were basically manufactured by Malcolm McLaren, and while they may well have meant it (I hope not) their politics basically served as shock tactics (is Marilyn Manson "dangerous"? I don't think so). For a '70s band that really expressed left-wing political ideals with artfullness and passion at the same time, look into Henry Cow--or Gang of Four for that matter. And I also think that historical significance shouldn't have any bearing on how music's actual quality is rated. Pong was important historically, but is it really still the greatest video game of all time? It's not even close, no one really thinks it's the best ever. But, the modern video game industry would not exist without it, because it was so important in showing that video games could be commercially successful. Yet, lists of the greatest pop albums of all time tend to be dominated by music that has since been surpassed by later bands working on the templates their predecessors established.

Quote:
Well that's just one band, maybe they were sexist people but that didn't really come through their music I think, despite their name, The Sex Pistols didn't really write songs about sexual matters.
The reason I think Rotten seems machoistic is because whenever he says "fock you" it sounds like he means "adore me".

Quote:
You gotta remember that the punk scene saw a greater movement of female musicians than anything that came before it. Patti Smith, The Runaways, Joan Jett, Siouxie & The Banshees, Wendy O, The Slits, The Raincoats, Blondie, The B-52s, Tina Weymouth, Eve Libertine, Poison Ivy (The Cramps), etc.
As I said, that might be true, but it has little to do with the Sex Pistols' music specifically.

Quote:
You never seen a lot of women in 70s prog, aside from Kate Bush and that chick from Renaissance.
It's true that the Victorian tendencies of commercial prog may have contained misogynistic leanings, but I am not a fan of the most obviously sexist prog bands--ELP come to mind--anyway. I don't think there was anything remotely machoistic about the music of, say, Yes.

My Last.fm

Last edited by Megadead2; 07-02-2009 at 05:26 PM.