Music Banter - View Single Post - Nirvana
Thread: Nirvana
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #111 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
What I don't like is how people try to discredit him over stuff like that.

Gee, a musician that wants to make money for what he does, what a disgrace to all the musicians in the world who are signed onto labels big and small that specifically sell their music for profit, a real f*cking disgrace.
i'm not trying to discredit him or the band. just pointing out that they weren't the idealistic pariahs so many people want to try to see them as. he wanted his cake and to be able to eat it to. you can't have successful obscurity, you don't retain obscurity by playing label showcases.

they didn't go to the mainstream because they WERE the mainstream. they WERE the disenfranchised youth of the late 80s that hated the garbage being pandered to the masses as 'great new music'. they were the ones who recognized the attitude and decadence of the glam and hair music that dominated so much of the 80s was crap. they were the ones who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, in broken homes, with minimal money who saw the realities of the tanking economy of the late 80s and hated the poofy haired facade mainstream america was trying to uphold.

cobain made it absolutely clear when he screamed "here WE are now, entertain US!" that they (and their peers) were in fact the mainstream. whether or not the mainstream wanted to recognize the transition was another matter entirely. my generation did not give them a choice. it was our turn, and we took it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote