Music Banter - View Single Post - The Terry Pratchett's Discworld Thread!
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

After exams I went on a buying spree and acquired 7 Pratchett books with your recommendations in mind: Jingo, The Colour of Magic, Men At Arms, Wyrd Sisters, Only You Can Save Mankind, Guards Guards and Pyramids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
Either way, it's a great setting, especially when it's matured and developed a bit. A lot of the books I mentioned in my previous post takes place there. The Witch series about Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and other people in the small country Lancre in the Ramtops mountains is also very good, I think. A sort of proto-granny character appears first in the book "Equal Rites", but the series first really come to life with the book "Wyrd Sisters".
I found Lancre to be an interesting setting when I read Carpe Jugulum and Nanny Ogg is a riot. The passage below amuses me and I showed it to my flatmate who is studying philosophy, emphasizing the bolded part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from Carpe Jugulum
The little cup of valleys, glowing in the last shreds of evening sunlight, was the kingdom of Lancre. From its highest points, people said, you could see all the way to the rim of the world.

It was also said, although not by the people who lived in Lancre, that below the rim, where the seas thundered continuously over the edge, their home went through space on the back of four huge elephants that in turn stood on the shell of a turtle that was as big as the world.

The people of Lancre had heard of this. They thought it sounded about right. The world was obviously flat, although in Lancre itself the only truly flat places were tables and the top of some people's heads, and certainly turtles could shift a fair load. Elephants, by all accounts, were pretty strong too. There didn't seem any major gaps in the thesis, so Lancrastrians left it at that.

It wasn't that they didn't take an interest in the world around them. On the contrary, they had a deep, personal and passionate involvement in it, but instead of asking "why are we here?" they asked "is it going to rain before the harvest?"

A philosopher might have deplored this lack of mental ambition, but only if he was really certain about where his next meal was coming from.

In fact Lancre's position and climate bred a hard-headed and straightforward people who often excelled in the world down below. It had supplied the plains with many of their greatest wizards and witches and, once again, the philosopher might have marveled that such a four-square people could give the world so many successful magical practitioners, being quite unaware that only those with their feet on rock can build castles in the air.