Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #277 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
I'm not taking away the credit from Evans, I have a live album by the Bill Evans Trio and it's fantastic. And you're right it's probably his presence that makes it a favorite for Davis fans, but Davis still deserves credit too.

Bitches Brew, Miles Ahead, Sketches of Spain and On The Corner are other greats. But Kind of Blue probably best defines his cool/modal jazz period, which is my favorite era of his I guess.

I admit to only having heard a small portion of his gigantic discography however.
Davis' playing is very subdued on Kind of Blue, which isn't abnormal. Davis was always one to give more of a spotlight to his accompanying musicians than to himself. Even Coltrane himself has a greater presence on the record than Miles' does.
Miles Ahead is definitely an album that I would assert is a better album than Kinda' Blue, which is a shame , because its definitely his most underrated album and does not get nearly the credit it deserves. Birth of Cool and Round Midnight, as well are also,i think, more representative of Miles' greatness as a trumpet player and not just as a bandleader/arranger.
I don't argue the greatness of Kind of Blue. It's an amazing album. It has just gotten to the point where it's almost obligatory for a jazz head to avow that Kind of Blue is the greatest jazz album of all time, and I just don't see it.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote