Music Banter - View Single Post - Starting a Band- what to do?
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillowmint View Post
Some friends and I are strongly considering starting a band (some kind of metal band probably, not sure exactly what), and i have recently been overwhelmed by all the things I don't know or can't do.
I have never been in a band before and don't know how to read music (I play guitar if it matters), but I am very interested in the concept, especially of songwriting. People I know who are younger than me have done a lot more in the music world than me, and I feel that it would be best to get started as soon as possible. Also, I heard that Metallica's members didn't really know what they were doing when they started out, but they got better very quickly and things really fell in place.
Does anyone have any advice for someone in my position, or books/websites that I might find useful? Thanks in advance.
The best advice I can give you is don't overthink it. You don't need to decide anything at all before you start playing. Just get your friends together and just mess around playing whatever you feel like. And have fun! Everything else will fall into place, but the most important thing is just start doing it.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote