Music Banter - View Single Post - Last FM
Thread: Last FM
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #3164 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

I just posted this elsewhere so I might as well post it here as well (with additional comments) since I took the time to write it out.

Unique Artists: 119
Total Tracks: 548
Total Plays: 551

1. Prefuse 73 (30)
I really hate how albums with many tracks top the charts so easily. Makes me wish that last.fm used time spent listening vs number of tracks (like that normalizer site). I put this new "top albums" thing in the profile area of my last.fm page, and this album tops the list for the last 6 months even though I've probably just played it 4 times. Mike Patton's Crank soundtrack is also on the list and I've only played it twice all the way through (plus random shuffle tracks).

2. Helmet (26)
The album Betty is highly underrated on RateYourMusic.com, it's quite a surprise. Same for Aftertaste, really, but I'm more surprised about Betty's poor ratings there. I mean, Meantime was alright but I really enjoy these two albums much more. Classics.

2. Lagwagon (26)
Long time fan, spending more time with their two last albums which came after my obsession with them.

4. Wire (20)
Another artist with many short tracks. #15 in my overall top played artists list...and I don't play their albums all that often. These plays are from listening to Pink Flag. I'll probably play Chairs Missing today.

5. Unwound (17)
Been checking out some of their early albums that I've never heard, These plays being from The Future of What which...on first listen...didn't appeal to me as much as Fake Train and New Plastic Ideas. Then again, New Plastic Ideas took a few plays to really appeal to me.

5. Swingin' Utters (17)
Mild obsession lately. I had purchased their self-titled sometime mid-decade and didn't really start liking it till earlier this year. I've checked out two other albums since, and in the past few weeks finally got around to their first two also. Very enjoyable band.

7. Meat Puppets (16)
I am digging Meat Puppets II quite a bit even though it could use a bit of trimming. I'll soon pick up another one of their albums.

8. Helvetia (15)
Decent indie rock band. I picked up their album The Clever North Wind during the Tower liquidation sales back in the day. There are some really great tracks on it, and overall I probably like 3/4 of it. I guess they're just not that consistent and the good stuff does take a bit of time to sink in...but I'd still recommend it. Their follow-up, The Acrobats, isn't quite as good but still has some good songs.

9. Coalesce (14)
I'm digging the new album Ox and will likely revisit the older stuff in the near future. I don't think that this is any more melodic than past stuff I've heard, but for some reason it grabbed my attention. I used to own 0:12 Revolution in Just Listening but I think I got rid of it.

10. The Creation (13)
Second listen to We Are Paintermen. Sounded better this time around, but still not quite as good as I had expected.

10. Stiff Little Fingers (13)
First time checking out this band, one listen to their debut album. They were apparently a big influence on Swingin' Utters' sound so I thought I should check them out. Quite good.