Music Banter - View Single Post - Last FM Library
Thread: Last FM Library
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #66 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Antonio's Library

Soundgarden - "The Day I tried to Live"
Meh...decent enough song but I've heard it a hundred times. Though I shouldn’t hold that against it. My only real problem with it is that Chris Cornell's vocals grate on me after a while. Actually it doesn’t take long at all. This is what has always kept me from checking out their first two albums. My introduction to them was Badmotorfinger which I like a lot except for the occasional cringe from the vocals. But the musical style on that album is harder and more to my liking, and therefore making up for the vocals, than the style on Superunknown which is more polished and not strong enough to make up for the vocals.

Every Time I Die – "Apocalypse Now and Then"
Hmm, a decent metalcore song. I used to have an album by these guys, Hot Damn!, which never grabbed my attention all that much, just average I guess. I may have even seen them live, now that I think about it, at an event featuring a handful of bands. So the song’s ok but I’m just not really into this type of stuff anymore. At times the vocals remind me a bit too much of mainstream emo. I can tell they are young.

The Foo Fighters – "This is a Call"
I have mixed feelings about this band. Luckily, this song is from their debut, one of two albums I have and enjoy (the other being The Colour and the Shape) so I dig it. After that, their stuff just didn’t appeal to me. Too mainstream and generic sounding I guess, or they were so influential that too many other bands started sounding like them...saturating their sound. I never loved them to begin with, just enjoyed it on occasion when I wanted something non-challenging to listen to. Everything I’ve heard from them as of late is just strumming and yelling, doesn’t appeal to me at all. But this is a good song.

Superjoint Ritual - "Everyone Hates Everyone"
I’ve known of this band for a long time but I’ve never listened to any of their stuff. I was a big Pantera fan during their prime (Cemetery Gates, Vulgar Display of Power, and Far Beyond Driven) but sort of got out of metal after that except for the occasional album. The only thing after those albums that I’ve heard from Phil Anselmo is Down’s debut NOLA which is pretty good, though I only got it within the last two years. Oh yeah so back to this song which is almost over…I like it. Maybe I should check out this album then. Also I’m not sure the level of his involvement, but Michel Haaga (frontman and guitarist from one of my favorite little known metal bands, Dead Horse) was an early member of this band.

Warren Zevon - "Lawyers, Guns and Money"
I don’t know that I’ve ever heard anything from this guy, other than “Werewolves of London” which I inever cared for. This song was not very appealing or memorable, I don’t see myself checking him out any time soon.