Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #294 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Well I'm not arguing influence.

I understand that The Stooges influenced many great bands, but putting that aside I don't know what the fuss was about. Their music just sounds generic and lifeless to me for the most part.

And there's a difference between keeping it basic and simple and just plain not knowing what you're doing, The Ramones may have been simple but they weren't incompetent and without discipline.

The Stooges were so sloppy and disorganized that I can't really take their music seriously, they weren't exactly tasteful either, there was a lot of wanking around, tuneless guitar solos that went on forever, I don't know why that's suddenly cool just because it's mediocre musicians doing it.

Sure, punk bands may not be virtuoso musicians, but at the very least, there's structure involved.
Yeah, I was gonna' go there, but I got distracted.
adding to your point. To say that the clash had no influence on today's music and then to contrast that statement by saying that The Stooges had a more of an influence then The Clash is just poo. Good ol' curbside variety unadulterated poo.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote