Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #298 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
That's what the other guy was saying, not me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO
Yeah, I was gonna' go there, but I got distracted.
adding to your point. To say that the clash had no influence on today's music and then to contrast that statement by saying that The Stooges had a more of an influence then The Clash is just poo. Good ol' curbside variety unadulterated poo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Now I really dig The Clash. And my problem with The Stooges isn't that they were not technically gifted musicians, it's because they weren't gifted and yet went way way way beyond their limits as a band, doing extended jams and long guitar solos that come off as just atonal racket.

Even when Sonic Youth and King Crimson did long and noisy pieces, there was still structure behind it, with The Stooges everything just seems completely random and spur of the moment.

Now a lot of great musicians had that kinda approach, but because The Stooges weren't great musicians, what I'm left with at least, is just a bunch of aimless f*cking around.

The Clash were not technical greats but for the most part they knew their limitations, even when they began experimenting with other genres of music. And that's really all a good musician is required to be, you can experiment, but know your limitations and do what you know how to do.
Agreed.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote