Music Banter - View Single Post - Last FM Library
Thread: Last FM Library
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #72 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

gunnels' library:

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band – “Trout Mask Replica”
I haven’t heard any Captain Beefheart before but had been thinking about checking out this album because I’ve seen it mentioned quite a bit on this forum. This song however…does not appeal to me at all. Granted, it does sound like an intro, outro, or interlude so it’s probably not a good judge of his style o the album overall. Too bad this had to be my first experience, as I didn’t enjoy this at all. 1/5

Coheed and Cambria – “Ten Speed (of God’s Blood & Burial)”
Ah this I know. I was a big fan of Coheed and Cambria from about 2002 and still like them but I guess I got a bit burned out by the time No Time for Tomorrow came out. Until then, I was pleasantly surprised by each new album that came out, even liking each new one more than its predecessor. No World for Tomorrow just wasn’t as good as any of the other 3. Anyway, this is a good song, I enjoyed it, even if not one of my favorites. 4/5

Sigur Rós – “Ágætis Byrjun”
A band that I’ve been aware of for years but have never bothered to check out because nothing I’d heard about them really appealed to me. They’ve always seemed like something pretty boring, simply based on samples and reviews, comments, etc. I listen to a fair share of post rock as well as mellow IDM electronic, so it’s possible that I would like these guys. But I don’t usually seek out music to fall asleep to. It usually appeals to me for some reason other than the fact that it’s mellow. So the song…it’s nice and inoffensive, but as I suspected, is kind of sleep-inducing. If I fall asleep at work and get in trouble, I’m coming after your ass, gunnels. Oh my goodness, I’m 3+ minutes in and there are 6+ minutes left. <goes to do some work while listening> Ok it’s wrapping up now. Well it was decent enough, but doesn’t make me want to check out the band. I didn’t care for the vocals too much, if I had to say anything negative about it. 2.5/5

System of a Down – “CUBErt”
I have mixed feelings about this band. I own the album Toxicity but like half of the songs at most. A few are really nice. It’s the only one I’ve ever heard. Overall it’s not the kind of hard rock/metal that I enjoy, it’s a little too nu-metal for my taste, and I don’t really like the vocal style all that much. It just happens to work well on a few songs (“Aerials” is a really nice one). This song appears to be from their debut, and has a pretty nice raw sound to it. It’s ok but doesn’t change my opinion of the band. 2.5/5

The Mars Volta – “Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt”
Ah yes, love me some TMV. And the from the debut, no less. They along with Coheed and Cambria helped me get into progressive rock around 2002-2003. TMV has managed to hold my interest more though, as they keep on experimenting. Anyway…this is a great song from my favorite TMV album. Not much else to say. 5/5

Last edited by sidewinder; 07-07-2009 at 10:48 AM.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote