Music Banter - View Single Post - Arctic Monkeys
Thread: Arctic Monkeys
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 05:49 AM   #375 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Ok, saw them live last night and was a bit underwhelmed. They played about 15 songs, 5 of which were from the new album and they all sucked. It's got Josh Homme written all over it, only the Monkeys are very much not a band that can pull of the desert-drone-devil-rock music. The album's gonna suck major league.

As for the performance itself, it was awright. They play well, the sound was good, all the songs they played from the previous albums were a success (even though they purposefully avoided the biggest hits), but I have to say that they are not a band you "need" to see live. The execution is pretty much like it is on the album, only the band has literally no stage presence, especially Alex, who is pretty much the most unwilling frontman I've seen live. He looked like he just got out of bed and was really bored. Absolutely no energy whatsoever...a complete opposite of seeing Franz Ferdinand live. They actually look like they're enjoying themselves...:\
I did see them back in 2006 and was sorely dissapointed by a really mediocre performance with no energy as they pretty much stood there.

HOWEVER, I saw them again in January this year and had the complete opposite experience. They played two unfamiliar new songs to open, which confused and disappointed most, but then went on to play older favorites and the whole place was just buzzing. They also did a Nick Cave cover which was a dangerous move but pulled off pretty well. They just had so much energy, were highly energetic, and by no means unwilling. When I saw them this year I thought they had definitely moved on from their just-standing-there-not-knowing-what-to-do era. It was a really fantastic show, with lots of fun and energy, and highly enjoyed by all.

That really sucks that you didn't have the same kind of experience