Music Banter - View Single Post - Last FM Library
Thread: Last FM Library
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #78 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

khfreek's library

The Clash - "Lost in the Supermarket"
Thank goodness for a Clash song. I've heard them talked up so much lately, but have never bothered playing any of their albums. Truth be told, I've never liked the song "London Calling" and that's the primary reason. The quality of this track sucks, I wonder if this is how the album sounds? Sometimes Last.fm plays a track from a live album or something, maybe a demo. I don't know. But the quality sucks and I'm not really enjoying the song. Reading the comments on the page does seem to reveal that it's not the version I should be hearing. Even aside from the production, I'm finding it pretty lame. 2/5

Tool - "Parabola"
Hell yes. I love Tool, and this song is great. I have nothing else to say. 5/5

Weezer – “El Scorcho”
After the blue album which I loved and still love, I never got Pinkerton. I don’t know why. I think it was always on my list to check out but the samples were never interesting enough for me to actually go forward with the purchase. Maybe I moved on to other things by the time it had come out. When the green album and Maladroit came out, I ended up getting those. Not sure why, as both were disappointments. About 3 years ago I ended up downloading Pinkerton and wasn’t very impressed with it. I guess it’s better than green and Maladroit, but still didn’t compare to the blue album. This song here…it’s not bad. Better than my overall impression of the album. But whatever. For me, the blue album is the only essential Weezer album. 3/5

Faith No More – “War Pigs (live)”
This recording is from Live at The Brixton Academy. As much a FNM fan as I was back then and still am, I didn’t pick this up when it came out. There are some great live albums out there but they usually don’t excite me unless I hear that they’re exceptionally good or feature cool covers. This does feature covers, but nothing that wasn’t available on the albums AFAIK. So “War Pigs”…it’s a great song by Black Sabbath and a great cover by FNM. The live version, however, isn’t as good as the studio version. He is doing some crazy singing towards the end though, so that’s cool. Still probably more exciting in person. Speaking of, come tour the states mother****ers! 4/5

LITE – “Fade”
I’ve never heard of these guys. And as I was doing other stuff when this song started, I was for sure that this was Deftones. Oops. About a minute into it I realized this was not them, as I had expected some vocals to kick in by then. This is an instrumental track. I wouldn’t call it post-rock as the guitars are being used in the traditional rock manner, it’s just instrumental rock I guess. I dig it, nice song. It doesn’t sound at all like Deftones now, guess it was just the beginning. Not that I need any more instrumental rock to check out, but I like the song and wouldn’t mind hearing more from them. 4/5

The Dillinger Escape Plan – “We Are the Storm”
I’ve heard some DEP, and really like their EP with Mike Patton. That’s because I’m a Mike Patton fan though. I’ve never heard anything from the album this track belongs to though, Miss Machine. It’s ok. Hmm, I’m liking the slow-down mid way through the track. The softer vocals actually remind me of Mike Patton, so that’s a plus. The instrumentation here is nice too. Then it picks up again and is chaotic like the first half. I like some stuff like this but for whatever reason DEP doesn't do enough to pull me in. 3/5

Dead Kennedys – “California Über Alles”
Good track. I’ve never actually checked out any albums by DK, only the compilation Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death which I’ve had on vinyl since the early 90s, and it does feature this song. Nice tune but not outstanding or anything. 4/5

-------------------------

The tracks were going by kind of fast as I was typing all of this, so I went beyond 5 without realizing it. Might as well post them all since I took the time to review them. Good score overall, khfreek.

Last edited by sidewinder; 07-08-2009 at 03:28 PM.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote