Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #330 (permalink)
asshat
king of sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I'm not generalising you, I've genuinely never heard you have a good word to say about anything that could be considered radical or left field.

Maybe they were considered radical , left field , abrasive or whatever in 1975 but it's 2009 now, things have moved on. Boundaries have been broken. That just looks like a list mostly made up of mainstream rock bands who got a bit loud once in a while. Not saying there's anything wrong with those bands I have albums by all of them. But like I said music has moved on.

Well at least they were a charismatic train wreck with some great songs

If I wanted to hear melodious music in the first place I wouldn't be listening to the bloody Stooges would I.

Probably the highlight of an extremely dull & boring show

I don't call prog bands making noise "pretentious wankery". I call endless solos & boring neo classical rubbish "pretentious wankery".
If you do find any punk bands who use those two things feel free to point them out to me so I can dismiss them as "pretentious wankery" as well.

Well talent stretches over lots of different aspects, the only one you seem to apply it to is musicianship.

What you mean is YOU wouldn't have cared, please don't speak on behalf of everybody. Personally i'm willing to look past someone's limitations if I find what they're doing compelling or interesting. It might interest me for 5 minutes or it might interest me for 5 decades, but as long as it says something while it has my attention that's fine with me. But then we already covered this the other day.

That's because you choose to ignore the post punk era save for a couple of successful bands that everybody likes. Although I dislike a lot of punk rock punk was the best thing that ever happened to music because it took music back out of the hands of the boring public school educated middle class musos that was like an epidemic in your own beloved prog movement and inspired people to get up & say something. Making for some really interesting & diverse music.

That's why I hear so many successful rock bands of the last 30 years covering ELP songs on a regular basis.

Oh wait

For every one good song the MC5 wrote the Stooges wrote three.

....In addition to what you said, the stooges changed the definition of what is acceptable and what is crap. Im certain that if there was no stooges there would be no sonic youth. Im sure prog played a lesser part.

To Boo Boo-most bar bands dont try anything new or write their own songs. Most bar bands try to make carbon copies of classic rock songs, and arent too abrasive and are easy on the ears for middle aged folks.

Im sure ``should I stay or should I go`` is a bar band staple. I dont think the same thing can be said about any stooges song. Just read about the reaction to the stooges at whatever bar the played: thrown bottles, taunts, rotten food thrown at them. They didn`t fit into the bar band mould and thats why they`re still relevant and a band like the Guess Who are not.

Last edited by asshat; 07-08-2009 at 05:04 PM.
asshat is offline   Reply With Quote